Ensign-isms

An ensignism is a story about Taylor, Alisa, Cassidy, Mckay, and Kelsey Ensign. These stories may be elaborate or mundane, but with the combined personalities of our little family, they are sure to be entertaining.

14 August 2009

Watering the Basement!

Watering the Basement

Inspired by my daughter Cassidy

Oh what a night, I had me yesterday
When I suddenly learned, to my dismay,
that morning dear daughter had played with the hose.
It wasn't turned off, and the water did flow.

After turning the nozzle to close all the way,
I realized the water had been on all day.
I glanced to my left and loudly did yell,
The water had filled both window wells.

The windows struggled to handle the pressure,
and allowed the water to freely enter.
I bailed with intensity far from a whim,
like on a raft with a leak, and I couldn’t swim.

My efforts to bail seemed to matter so little,
as the saturated ground filled the wells middle.
Only after three hours of constantly bailing,
Did the water level drop and the windows stop failing.

The basement floor damage included wet clothes,
saturated blankets, pillows and photos.
With the exception of a Mission bought watercolor,
Each item was saved, no worse than another.

So if you have children, who happen to play,
With your garden hose- early on in the day,
Secure the main valve and protect your home,
Or you’ll bail til midnight and write stupid poems.

3 comments:

Karie said...

Oh, sad! (but nice poem!)

Sally said...

very creative taylor... it's good that you put that talent to use instead of another talent with something as 'fun' as watering the basement!

Kenny said...

i used to water our basement when i was a kid....but, it wasn't with the garden hose. (yep, i got yelled at too)