Ensign-isms

An ensignism is a story about Taylor, Alisa, Cassidy, Mckay, and Kelsey Ensign. These stories may be elaborate or mundane, but with the combined personalities of our little family, they are sure to be entertaining.

06 April 2009

General Conference Memories

What a pleasure it is to hear from the leaders of our Church. I was reminded this past weekend of how much I needed General Conference while I was serving my mission. I recall several times on my mission where I would think, "You know, I am really enjoying teaching others about the gospel, but it would sure be nice to have someone teach me for a change." Being able to enjoy General Conference was always a nice charge to my mission batteries. Strangely enough I remember being the most homesick during Conference. I was usually busy enough on major holidays, and never really had time to feel homesick, but as I would sit in a chapel to listen to conference, I would begin to imagine my family sitting together at home listening to the instruction of our leaders.

Now that I have two small children of my own, sitting around watching General Conference with them, is well, how should I put this......difficult! It was still a pleasure to sit and listen to our church leaders, however, instead of being in a quiet chapel on an island in the Pacific, I was instead listening to our leaders while helping to dress Barbies and playing with Play Doh. Although if I had to chose, I would chose to play with Barbies, than be alone in a chapel. Missions are fun, but Children are much more fun.

This Conference also made me realized how blessed I am to live in such close proximity to our General Authorities. In fact, it dawned on me that I have met all the members of our current First Presidency. I have met President Monson twice (both times at funerals), I met Elder Eyring as my wife and I were waiting in the Temple to be sealed, and I met President Uchtdorf while sitting just two seats away from him at a Utah Jazz game.

As always, Conference was a pleasure, but I am definitely going to need to read all of the talks in next months Ensign. I may have missed some important teachings while making sure Barbie was dressed modestly.

2 comments:

Sally said...

at least barbie has someone looking out for her well-being. you'll probably be forgiven.
and so you don't feel bad... maggie's birthday isn't until the 24th, so you fortunately didn't miss it yet. unfortunately for her though, she has to share her birthday with me. we're still decided how to celebrate her first birthday in a couple weeks.

Giggles said...

Even when I sit and take notes all through Conference, I still find things I missed when I read the talks over the next six months and watch them on DVD.