Ensign-isms

An ensignism is a story about Taylor, Alisa, Cassidy, Mckay, and Kelsey Ensign. These stories may be elaborate or mundane, but with the combined personalities of our little family, they are sure to be entertaining.

03 February 2010

Season Sickness

When Mckay was a wee baby he caught RSV. He is more prone to illness than Cassidy and I think it is because his immune system is weaker due to the RSV. I could be wrong, but every year Mckay will get multiple colds and respiratory illnesses. I can't wait until he outgrows the effects of RSV.
The week after Christmas Mckay's eating and sleeping schedule seemed out of wack. After about a week of things being off, he started having a temperature. Medicine would take care of it and he was back to bouncing off the walls. However, day 3 of meds for the fever, the Motrin wasn't working any more. I could just see in his eyes that he was sick. I called the doctor and got him an appointment.
The doctor came in to examine Mckay. He kept asking me about how he was coughing, if he had congestion....yada yada yada. Besides fever and things just being a little out of whack he didn't really have any symptoms. The doctor said it must just be a virus and was about to leave.
That is when Mckay coughed.
The doctor immediately said, "Oh, he has croupe."
Well what do you know, my motherly insticit that something was wrong, despite the lack of symptoms, was right.
Hallelujah! (not that he was sick, but that I didn't waste money at the Dr.)
The afternoon ended in a steroid shot and a warning that if the fever doesn't go down, he could contract pnemonia.
The next day was New Year's Eve. Mckay was feeling much better. We went to family for the event, but late Saturday night, the fever was back. Sunday I made an appointment, and sure enough, my poor Mckay had pnemonia.
An anti-biotic was prescribed and boy did it taste bad. After three days of forcing Mckay to drink it, and an unsucessful trip to Walgreen to add flavor, I was giving up on giving him any more. However, the only other alternative was more shots. I didn't want that.
I talked with the nurse and she informed me, "Put the medication in some chocolate milk."
How I wish I knew that from the beginning!!!!!!!!
Now Mckay is better. I am just looking forward to warm weather so the chance of respiratory diseases decrease.

2 comments:

Giggles said...

I'm going to have to remember that chocolate milk trick. That sounds like a good one.

I'm glad he's feeling better. I'll try and blow some of our warm weather your way.

Sally said...

croup is horrible, livia had a different sickness each week for the first 3 weeks of the year. strep, croupe and roseola. i guess i'm lucky she never got pneumonia! fortunately her medicine all tasted yummy... but i'm definitely remembering the chocolate milk trick too! i hope he makes it the rest of the season without any more sicknesses!